Be application ready

Find out what you need to know and have ready before you start the application process.

We're delighted that you're ready to apply to study with us here at MIT.

To make applying as easy as possible, there are a few things that it’d help to have ready and also to know about before you start the application process.

Important tips for being ready to apply

When do you need to apply by?

We recommend that you apply as soon as possible, as a number of our most popular programmes have limited course spaces and fill up quickly.

It’s also best to apply early so you can get other things like StudyLink sorted before your programme starts.

Is there standard information we need you to supply

When you apply, there’s some standard information that we need you to provide, like your personal details, contact information and details of your past education.

We also need you to supply certified ID documents

You’ll also need to provide us with some certified ID documents as the Ministry of Education requires us to verify the identity of students. These documents can include your birth certificate or passport to show proof of citizenship or residency.

What if I don’t have a birth certificate?

If you don’t have a birth certificate, you can order your birth certificate from the Department of Internal Affairs (DIA). Prices start from $33 for a standard birth certificate and will take approximately 8 days.  You’ll need a referee to sign the form — that's someone who is over 16 years old and has known you for at least 6 months.

What else do I need to submit?

We’ll also need to see a certified copy of your:

  • qualifications, academic transcripts or NZQA record of learning to show you meet entry requirements; and
  • proof of IELTS English language proficiency (if English is your second language).
What does certified mean?

A certified copy is a copy of your ID that has been authorised as a ‘true copy of an original document’ by a person listed in New Zealand’s Oaths and Declarations Act 1957, for example, a Justice of the Peace; Minister; lawyer or equivalent; or a designated MIT staff member.

How do I get my documents certified?

Don’t send us your original documents. If you haven’t got certified copies of your documents already, don’t worry, just make an appointment with one of our Ask Me! agents and bring the original copies of your documents with you to our Ask Me! Student Services Centres. Our team member that you meet with can certify them for you.

Are there any other documents I might need to provide or any requirements I might need to meet?

For some of our diploma and degree programmes (Nursing, Health, Counselling, Sport, Social Work, Education) during the application process, you will also need to:

  • supply at least two references which can't be from family members or friends
  • undergo police vetting as a requirement under the Vulnerable Children's Act.

You may also:

  • be required to attend an interview
  • and complete a science or literacy and numeracy diagnostic test.

We’ll let you know as part of the process when we need you to give us these or come in to complete the interview and testing.

What do some of the terms mean for the programmes?

Open entry programmes for domestic students

This means that there are no academic requirements that need to be met to enter this programme.

Programmes with entry requirements

We recommend that you check all the entry requirements before you apply and as part of the application process you’ll tell us about your educational history.

Talk to us if you think you don’t meet the entry requirements of the programme you want to apply for and we can have a chat about your options. You can still apply, but the decision on whether you will be accepted into the programme will be made by the Head of School.

Are there scholarships or free fees options?

Depending on the programme you’re applying for, you may be eligible for

Our Ask Me! team can help you identify if you qualify for any of these and help you apply.

What if I do need to apply for a student loan or allowance?

If you find you need to apply for a student loan and/or allowance through StudyLink, get a head start by setting up a Real Me account at and start the StudyLink application process at

Still have questions about applying?

We’re here to help, so if you have any other questions about the application process, pop into one of our Ask Me! Student Services Centres or send us a message or call us on 0800 62 62 52.

Ready to  apply?

Apply online here