The MIT trades academy is the result of some clever thinking by southern Auckland secondary schools, MIT, local employers and government agencies. A place at the trades academy allows year 11, 12 and 13 students to study at MIT and school, getting the benefits of both worlds and easing the transition between secondary and tertiary study.
In a fiercely competitive workplace, studying at the MIT trades academy could be your edge. With some hard work and dedication, you will have the opportunity to finish school with a minimum of NCEA Level 2 and credits towards a nationally recognised trade qualification from MIT.
You will also have the opportunity to gain the sector related credits required for the vocational pathway award on your NCEA Level 2 qualification.
GET A HEAD START WITH TRADES ACADEMY
Find out what tertiary education is really like while you are still at school.
You will get to sample tertiary subjects without having to commit to full-time tertiary study or pay any fees, and you will also gain credits towards NCEA. If you are unsure what you want to do when you finish school then this is your opportunity to get a taste of our different study areas.
Learning takes place at MIT and depending on your chosen course you will spend one to two days a week on campus. You will also be supported by MIT staff and get access to our support services while continuing to receive support from your school.
We offer a range of courses across our campuses. Note – transport is organized by your school and pick up and drop off is from school grounds.
- Automotive engineering (level 2 and 3)
- Building (full-year) (level 2)
- Building, construction and allied trades (level 3)
- Carpentry (half-year) (level 2)
- Carpentry (level 2)
- Electrical (level 2 and 3)
- P-Tech (digital technologies) (level 2 and 3)
- Building and landscape (level 2 and 3)
- Career preparation and skills for assisted learners (level 1)
- Early childhood education (level 2 and 3)
- Hairdressing (level 2)
- Hospitality (level 2 and 3)
- Study and career preparation - police preparation (level 3)
- Travel and tourism (level 2 and 3)
Build your career path with MIT
After successfully completing and MIT trades academy course, you will have achieved at least NCEA Level 2 at school and have a partial completion of a National Certificate from MIT.
You can then choose to:
- Go into full-time study at MIT – explore our free* study options
- Pathway into employment with further training on the job
- Return to the trades academy to study more in your vocational area or explore another vocational area
- Return to school to complete Year 13 and NCEA Level 3.
If you are looking for some extra guidance choosing a subject that works for you talk to your school's careers advisors.
You can also check out the vocational pathways profile builder with Youth Guarantee or take the CareersNZ career quest quiz to match your interests with a career.
Ready to get ahead with trades academy?
Once you've decided that studying at the Trades Academy is what you want to do, ask your school careers advisor to assist you with the application form.
When you have completed the form we will work with your school to decide whether you have been accepted on to your chosen course.
Emphasis is given to students who are passionate about starting vocational training while still remaining in secondary school and enjoy learning in a hands-on environment.
You will also need support from a careers advisor, teacher or dean who can nominate you.